I actually made this several weeks ago to go with the Best Southern Fried Chicken. It was really good and the perfect side for fried chicken. It says Triple Hot, but it wasn’t really. I may have used too much cabbage, it says 1/2 a head, but they were so small that I used a whole head. So the point is, not hot, but very tasty. It’s also another one of those recipes that she never made for me. It’s written on a piece of spiral note paper in my mom’s handwriting. Also, I’ve noticed that she sometimes doesn’t write down some parts of recipes, probably because she knows what she needs to do. I, however, sometimes have to improvise. She also writes on the back when there is still room on the front and I sometimes don’t see it until after it is finished. This is one of those cases, but it didn’t really make a difference. It did get better the longer it stood though. Notice how she spells olive oil. It’s like Olive Oyl from the Popeye cartoons! I wonder if she did that on purpose or if it was an accident. She has spelled it like that in other recipes too so I wonder if she just thought that was how it was spelled. She was very particular so that would be out of character for her, but hey, we can’t be perfect! Love you Mom!
COLESLAW IN TRIPLE HOT DRESSING
1/2 cabbage, shredded
celery, 2 stalks thinly sliced
green pepper, finely sliced
4 scallions, shredded
2 Tbs. fresh, chopped dill
Red Wine Vinegar-2 Tbsp.
Olive Oil-5 Tbsp.
Directions: Mix mustard, horseradish, and tobasco. Gradually add vinegar. Stir with fork. Gradually add oil, salt and pepper. Toss salad, cover and let stand.
I used regular hot sauce instead of tabasco, just because I didn’t have any. Maybe that was part of why it wasn’t hot. This one may become a summer staple in our house. I would love to find a way to preserve it. I wonder if it can be frozen. That will be something for me to look into. Till next time!
- Spring Coleslaw Salad (retireforthefunofit.com)
- Coleslaw with Turmeric Dressing Recipe for Breast Health (breastcanceryogablog.com)
- Coleslaw (everydayfamilyfavorites.wordpress.com)
- Superior Cabbage (filmandfodder.com)
- DIY- Coleslaw (dawnoffood.com)
- Balsamic Coleslaw (vegancookery.wordpress.com)
- asian coleslaw | recipe (stefanieharrington.com)
- Tasty Coleslaw Recipe (busychica.wordpress.com)
- Gingered Carrot Coleslaw Recipe (rawlivingfoods.typepad.com)
- Sweet Southern Coleslaw (glutening.wordpress.com)