Today was a very productive day. Even my procrastination was productive! I started on the quilt at about 8:30 this morning. I pieced a few strips together and then a few more. Then I got up and made another cup of tea. Then I pieced a few more and got up and looked in the refrigerator….then the cabinets. I don’t know what I was looking for and I certainly never found it. After sewing together 32 strips (my halfway mark) I went outside and wandered around the garden. I started pulling the onions since I was supposed to do it last weekend, but didn’t get around to it. Matching all the little corners was too tedious for me to do straight through I guess. Here’s what I was doing:
I took these pieces ^ and those pieces ^ and sewed them together to make them pieces ^. Lots of points.
When it all got to be too much I got up and procrastinated. Working in the garden was my chosen method of procrastination today (after searching blindly through fridge and cabinets). My daughter even came out to help me. We got all of the onions harvested and put in the greenhouse to dry out and I got most of the garden weeded…..again. I promised a picture of what the cucumber vines look like now so here it is.
I’ve gotten several pickling cucumbers off of the vine already and today I picked one regular cucumber. It turned out to be kinda small, but it’s all good.
The three on the left are from the pickling vines and the one on the right is a Marketer cucumber (slicer). I didn’t even see the giant one growing until today, obviously, or I would have picked it sooner. I dug out Mom’s dill pickle recipe today and it says that I need about 24 cucumbers. I have about 10 right now so soon I can make a batch.
Here’s my onion harvest.
They’re kind of on the small side, but better than last year. It’s a learning process.
Back to the quilt. Do you see how easy it is for me to have squirrel moments? I’m easily distracted. I now have 32 short rows and 32 long rows that need to be sewn to the nine patch squares. Oops, didn’t take a picture of the nine patches.
What I’ll end up with is 16 flowers. The colors of the flowers are all different. I used batiks for them and for the dark green leaves. You can see small parts of the flowers and the dark green leaves in the picture above. They’re all on a light blue background. I’m finally starting to get excited about this quilt even though matching all the corners and seems is tedious. That seems to be the best word I can find for it even though it’s a bit more negative than I would like. Anyway, I feel like I’m finally getting close to having a complete top. I’ll worry about the quilting later.
All in all, it was a good and productive day. I finished another step on the quilt, harvested the onions, weeded the garden and was still happily Mom and wife also. I’ll be at the Market tomorrow so no working on the quilt.
Have a Creative Day!