I’m pretty excited about my garden this year, but one thing that I think is especially cool is the bamboo pole teepees that I made for some beans that I planted in pots on my deck this year. I had no idea what kind of beans I was planting when I started because the seeds came in a medley mix packet. All I know is that I picked 2 seeds that looked alike and planted them in the middle of my large planters and then 4 more of a different variety. I planted 2 of those in each planter to the side and back of the middle seeds. Hang on if you’re confused. It won’t matter in a minute. Beans usually sprout pretty quickly, but these weren’t so I loosened the soil and started watering them myself instead of counting on Mother Nature. She wasn’t cooperating like she is now at that time. Sure enough, within a few days the middle seeds had sprouted. I kept waiting for the others to sprout, but they never did. C’est la vie. It was probably meant to be because I believe what sprouted are called Scarlet Runner Beans. I just figured that out in the last 2 days because some flowers have bloomed on them. Any experts out there, feel free to confirm or deny.
As they started growing, I realized that they were not a bush variety and had to come up with a plan to support a bean vine….in a pot….on my deck. While wandering around the garden center at Home Depot I came upon just the thing….bamboo poles. I picked up 2 packages of 6 foot poles with 3 in each package. My husband thought I may have lost a few marbles, but he’s pretty accommodating so he let me bring them home. Well, let me tell you, next year I’ll either need 10 foot poles or a different planting spot and a different support method all together. Let me show you what I mean.
This is the day that I first put the stakes up. It’s hard to see in my small pictures, but I think if you click on them they’ll get bigger. They plants were already starting to vine, so I gently tied them to the center back pole so they would grab on and climb. They had it all figured out by the next day and within I week, I think, I untied the twine so it wouldn’t choke the vines. Those pictures were taken on June 16th. These next ones were taken the very next day.
Little suckers are quick learners! Here’s some more pics taken just 9 days later…..
and 4 days after that……
You can’t see how tall they are, but the flowers budded and bloomed pretty quickly. Do you see the lights next to the bamboo poles? They are now wrapped around those and heading up toward the roof. I don’t know if they’ll ever get beans, but I love the bamboo teepees and the little red flowers. I would be happy to know if these are purely ornamental or also edible, but either way, I’m going to enjoy them on my deck for the rest of the summer! Who knows, maybe they’re magic beans….I sure could use a goose who lays golden eggs. 😉
I’m going to put a little DIY tutorial post on my gardening blog tomorrow so go and check it out!
On a side note: My post from Mom’s Recipe Box is having technical difficulties. If I can get it unlocked…don’t ask…I will post it right away. If not, I’ll scream silently, pull my hair, stomp my feet, and start all over again.
Have a Creative Day!