The other day my daughter cleaned out her room and asked me to hem her curtains. I have been promising to do this for months, but I either forget or just don’t have time. That night I sat down and just hemmed them. It took less than an hour and they came out perfect. You’re probably wondering what the heck that has to do with a bean bag bookend. Well, let me tell ya. She also decided to clean out one of her closets which happens to be where all of her book are stored. She said that she would go through her books and pick the ones that she wanted to keep if I would get her a bookend. I had the best idea ready for this. A while ago, I saw a bean bag bookend online. It’s sad, but I don’t remember where. I got some really cute fabric at a quilt show in April and it happens to match her room so I let her pick three that she liked and said that I would make a bean bag bookend. She kind of looked at me weird, but was agreeable to it. Does that mean she’s starting to trust me?
The fabrics were from Robert Kauffman’s Spot On collection. She picked two blues and a lime green. I knew I wanted the bean bag to be large enough to support the books, but small enough to fit on the little shelf under her desk. 10” square turned out to be a good size for this. They way I explained it sounds much more thoughtful than the process actually was. This is where I get to the part where I connect me hemming the curtains to the bean bag. The colors she picked were sort of light and needed a bold contrast to emphasize them. Her curtains are black and since I had to cut off 30” I had a lot to work with.
I used the curtain fabric for the back of the bean bag and in strips between the strips of fabric. It turned out great! The colors really pop.
It was more difficult than I thought it would be to keep the front square because of the thick lining on the curtains and the cotton fabric. The fabric stretched a little and the whole edge from end to end was quite skewed. Luckily, I realized that this was happening as I was sewing and made adjustments for it so it wasn’t too bad. I accidentally sewed up all four sides so I had to rip part of one side open to turn it right side out and fill it. I used rice to fill it and machine stitched it closed. (After I dumped some of the rice down my stairs.) I’m really glad they aren’t carpeted. It made the clean up sew much easier.
The bean bag bookend turned out great and my daughter kept her word and sorted through all her books. I finished it while she was at school and put it in place for her. A job (or 2) well-done for Mom!