Welcome to Monday and another recipe from Mom’s Recipe Box! This recipe is for meatballs which I made with spaghetti. This recipe was handwritten by my mom on a 3×5 index card. I’m beginning to wonder if my mom ever cooked for us because again, I don’t remember meatballs. I suppose it’s possible that she made it once or twice and I just don’t remember. I know that I have a zillion recipes that I have never made. I just cut them out or wrote them down because they sounded good. We all have our favorites and mostly stick to those so my family is getting a treat with all the different recipes that I’m trying. It keeps life exciting!
This recipe is very vague, so I’ll just tell you how I translated it. I used a whole large onion, but I doubled the recipe, so a medium or small is probably fine. Also, it only takes a second to soak the bread sufficiently. Notice that the end of this recipe says to simmer for half an hour. Simmer in what? I didn’t know, so I just browned them and made sure that they were cooked through. I did throw a few in the spaghetti sauce and let those simmer for a while.
Also, don’t forget to salt and pepper them and you may want to add your favorite spices for a little extra flavor. I used panko bread crumbs to roll them in. It made them crispy on the outside when I browned them.
My meatballs never stay balls when I brown them. They’re more like irregular polygons. Oh well, they still taste the same! I added them to the spaghetti with my homemade sauce and a little parmesan. Delish!
1 lb. hamburger
4 slices dry bread
Soak bread in water, squeeze, add to hamburger. Add egg, onion, salt and pepper. Roll into balls and then roll in bread or cracker crumbs. Brown and simmer for 1/2 hour.
Enjoy! and there is something for everyone in the links below!
- ITALIAN SPINACH MEATBALLS: Recipes for the LAZY COOK #9 (lifeisgelato.com)
- Balls of meatballs (mobites.wordpress.com)
- Best Baked Turkey Meatballs (Oven Meatball Recipe) (foodiecitymom.com)
- Uncle Tony’s Meatballs; Authentic Sicilian Recipe (uncletonyandchooch.wordpress.com)
- Cheesy Meatballs (ninjamunchies.wordpress.com)
- Spaghetti (Squash) and Meatballs (korenainthekitchen.com)
- Meatballs in Creamy Ginger Sauce (faestwistandtango.wordpress.com)
- Italian Meatballs (foodlovercph.wordpress.com)
- Grandma’s Meatballs and Marinara Sauce (Gluten Free) (makeitnaked.com)
- Vegan Spaghetti n’ Meatballs – ‘Pork Style’ (anodetomungbeans.wordpress.com)