No suspense here, I’m too excited! I finally, FINALLY got a compost tumbler! I tried a pile and it provided very fertile soil…everything around grew out of it! I tried using an old garbage can with a lid and rolling it around, but it got too heavy and cumbersome. I believe it probably has some really good dirt in it now, because it’s still sitting back there. Last summer my hubby said he would build me some bins for composting. He must have decided that buying the tumbler was easier because I walked up on him and my son loading one into the cart last week. I jumped up and down in the store and my son thought I was off my rocker getting that excited over a composter. Kids, what do they know?
My hubby has been working a lot, so I thought I would help him out and put it together myself. I unloaded it from the truck, got all the required tools out, read the instructions, and put some metal plates on 4 of the pieces. It was only 30 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside, which is right around 0 for you Celsius people, so I decided that it was tea time. Lucky for me, he called to chat and wanted to do it himself. *Sigh* I didn’t have to finish it out in the cold. Golly gee, shucks and darn. And since he is the way he is, and I had all the parts and pieces out on his truck and in the driveway, it was put together that night. Yay!
It has two bins that spin separately so that I can use one and fill the other one. I had to start that day so I managed to create some vegetable debris along with some tea leaves and coffee grounds to dumb in. It also has a red plastic clip so I know which one I can dumb fresh in and which one is ready to go. I can’t wait to use my first….load?
BONUS!: When he was leveling the ground to put some boards down for the composter’s legs, he found some little bulbs with green shoots coming from them. I don’t remember planting any bulbs over there and everything was under an old tractor tire anyway. Upon closer inspection, I believe they may be crocuses! Here’s what I did with them:
They are now sitting proudly on an Easter nine-patch in the center of my table. Now I just need them to bloom so I know for sure.
On the veggie front, all is well except for one minor casualty. I put my seedling outside for a while on what I thought was a warm enough day. Obviously, not. Most of my brussels sprouts wilted and died, but some are still okay. I think I started too soon though, because everything is sprouted and needs more direct, warm sunlight than I can provide. I started this early based on last year’s weather. It was already in the 80’s last year and it’s only in the 40’s this year. I was also counting on my greenhouse being up and functional. *That may happen this weekend so keep your fingers crossed!
Happy Sowing until next time!
P.S. I learned something new yesterday! How to put the little copyright watermark on my pictures! I always wondered how people did that. Now I know. If anyone can tell me a way to save that setting so it does it automatically for all my pictures, I would be very appreciative. (Not that my pictures need to be copyrighted, I just think it’s cool.)