I decided several years ago that I wasn’t going to make New Year’s Resolutions anymore. I never accomplished them and most of the time I forgot what they even were. This year I have decided to make a list of goals for myself. I don’t know if it’s the time of year or if we are just trained to make resolutions for the new year, but I spent the last week of December doing mental housecleaning and came up with my idea for setting goals for the year. I also decided that I needed to finish a few things so that I can have a clean slate to work with. I am writing my goals in my blog, not because I think you are particularly interested in them, but because it will hold me accountable in a way. Also, it will help me remember. Maybe I should make it a separate page and cross them off as I go. I’ll think about that. My goals are broken down into general and specific because I have ADD and need to focus on small short-term goals in order to accomplish larger goals.
Goals for 2013
1. Read 1 classic novel or one challenge booklist book per month.
2. Write 1000 words per month (minimum).
a) finish rough draft of memoir
3. Sew 2 days per week (minimum).
a) finish David’s quilt (just need to bind it!)
b) make Danielle’s quilt
4. Volunteer at food pantry.
5. Register and set up booth for Town Market.
6. Set and follow through on 3 goals per week for house.
Week 1: 1) take garage sale items to Salvation Army
2) put Christmas decorations away
3) straighten up craft room
7. Go for a hike/walk once a week.
8. Post to my blog 3 times per week (minimum).
Well, it’s certainly not a bucket list, but it will help me accomplish my larger goal of actually accomplishing the goals I set for myself. I have to start small and focus small or I just get too overwhelmed. My husband thinks that list is too much at once. He told me to set 1 goal, do it, and then set my next goal. I have tried to incorporate that by setting individual small goals for some categories, like “finish David’s quilt”. If you look back to my September posts, you will see that I started a quilt then for my cousin’s wedding on September 15th. That would be part of my “clean slate” project.
Well, there it is. I’ll check back periodically and see how I’m doing. Maybe I’ll even share.
- 2013 Family Bucket List & To Dos. (crazyadventuresinparenting.com)
- Bucket List Mania (lauriesnowturner.com)
- on new year’s resolutions (jesscy.wordpress.com)