Do you know who Bowser is? Bowser is a character in the Mario Bros. video games. He also happens to be the favorite character of my nephew’s friend. He is a turtle with a spiked shell. When my sister-in-law called and asked me to make a Bowser costume for him I was hesitant, because I am notorious for not finishing projects on time. However, I would have four weeks to finish it in so I said yes. I didn’t hear any more from her until about 2 weeks ago, when she called to arrange a time to come down and bring me the supplies that I would need and show her how to use her sewing machine. It turns out that I only had to make part of the costume, the shell, back and front. Good thing, because I assumed that that was all I had to make anyway. They were the parts that required sewing, which my sister-in-law can’t do.
She said there was a pattern online. I thought it would only take a few hours to whip it out and I would be done. So she comes to my house, which is about an hour away from hers, and brings all the stuff in. I was moving slowly that day anyway because I had a headache, and she was running a little late, which happens when you have little kids, so our time was limited. Well, it turns out that the pattern wasn’t a pattern at all, just a description of how someone else had made one. So, on a wing and a prayer, I started measuring (the boy is about the same size as my sister-in-law) and cutting out pieces of felt according to the description. By the time she left, I had mostly figured out how I was going to make all the parts and had starting pinning together the main shell.
Within a few days, I had the main shell done. I just needed to add the spikes and make the front. I made the cones for the spikes on the machine, but they needed to be hand sewn onto the back of the shell. I put off the hand sewing by making the front of the shell, again on a wing and a prayer, because I had no pattern to go by and I needed cutouts for the head and arms. It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. I finished sewing on the spikes during a class at church on Sunday and delivered it to my brother Sunday afternoon.
The top two pictures are with the cones pinned on and the bottom one is the completed project, graciously held up by my husband who requested not to be shown in my blog. Off with your head!!!
It wasn’t entirely finished because my sister-in-law said that she had to dye the elastic so she would connect the front to the back. My brother didn’t think that was the best plan because apparently she has absolutely no sewing skills whatsoever. It was her plan.
I was feeling good about getting a project done early and not rushing and having it be of good quality. My sister-in-law calls me a little later and says “It’s perfect!” I smile and think, ‘cool, a job well done and everyone’s happy.’ Then she says, “But…”. Oh great, here it come. She said that I forgot the tail. I didn’t know it needed a tail. I asked if it really needed a tail, because it was pretty darn cool without one. Well, the boy who it is for is autistic and very detail oriented. I understand this, having worked with autistic kids for years, but I was not about to drive an hour each way just for a tail. I gave her a few options and left it at that. Hope that doesn’t make me a bad person.
I hope he enjoys the costume (even without the tail) and has a very fun Halloween!