So I thought to myself, “I have to actually do something in order to blog about something I do.” I haven’t been doing my normal things this past week. I haven’t worked on my recipe box. I haven’t harvested, dried, or created any masterpieces or potions with my herbs, and I haven’t canned any vegetables. I haven’t scrapbooked anything and I haven’t sewn anything. So today I sit and wonder, “What exactly have I done?”
I have been the good house wench. I have cooked meals for my family everyday, some excellent, others average. I have sent the kids off to school with all of their supplies and lunches packed. I have kept some appointments and changed others and I have updated my computer calendar.
Updating the calendar was fun for me because it was something that I was just learning. The last time I tried to use it, it was confusing me more than it was organizing me. They either updated the format of the calendar or I updated the format of my brain. Honestly, could be either. I completely understand it now and can set events that last more than one day and can utilize all the different views of the calendar, daily, weekly and monthly. That might be boring to everyone else, but it’s all part of me learning how to better use my computer.
Yesterday, I finally worked in the yard again. Most of the summer I hauled the hoses around trying to keep my vegetables and herbs alive because of the drought and I neglected the flowers (and the weeds). It has rained a few times now and the temperatures are much cooler so I felt it was safe to do a little work with the flowers. I dug out all of the irises next to my shed because the grass had overrun them and was as tall as the leaves . Now that the side of my shed was completely empty and boring, I had to decide what to do with it. A couple of days ago JB, that’s my husband, was burning some branches from trees that had blown over in a windstorm last summer and I found an old, well a couple years old, wire form for a large Christmas wreath at the bottom of the pile. I rescued it and hung it from a nail on the side of our shed. It looks pretty cool just like that, but I will try my hand and making my own wreath this year. That got me motivated to tidy up the side of the shed and clean up the area behind it. It was a bit overgrown and messy with “stuff” that we put back there so it would be out of the way. After digging up the irises, I made the bed a little wider and raked the dirt so it was below the level of the wood on the shed, because the wood is starting to rot. That left me with quite a bit of extra dirt which I put into a new raised bed. I put newspaper down to keep the weeds and grass out and held it in place with some of the dirt I had just removed.
It was looking pretty dull so I looked around for something else to put there and decided to start with an ever-blooming rose bush that has been sitting in a pot all summer, trying valiantly to stay alive. I think it will flourish on the corner. As I was looking for something else to put there, I decided to cut down a rogue mulberry tree that was growing from the stump of one we cut down years ago. Behind the tree, I found a plastic patio table and some old birdfeeders that I thought would be perfect next to the shed. I moved them all and as I picked up the second birdfeeder I saw a little grey face peeking out at me. A little mouse had made his home inside and now I had displaced him. He jumped out and hid under my rake watching me until Desi, my rather playful German Shepherd came around. Then Mortimer Mouse scampered off to hide. I wonder if he’ll be back.
I didn’t get any pictures yesterday as I don’t make it a habit to garden with my camera on me and I had an appointment to rush off to. I will take some today and post them later. Maybe I’ll see Mortimer again.
I also transplanted some other roses that must have grown from stray roots left behind in my old rose bed. A neighbor once told me that I couldn’t grow roses here. It has been my goal ever since to prove her wrong, and I am finally succeeding! Pictures to come.